Tuesday, September 23, 2008

When you get a chance. . .

When I hear the words, "Honey, would you mind . . ." I cringe. I know--I shouldn't--but I have my goals, my writing schedule, my plans.

I'm blessed to be one of those writers whose husband leaves the house for eight hours a day and my daughter is married and lives on the other side of the country. At 7:30 in the morning, I eat my oatmeal, check my email and chunk out my blog time of a half hour or so.

But life as a writer isn't so simple. My mother called yesterday with her update and we talked for an hour. My daughter called to tell me about my grandson's latest accomplishment. And then my husband said before he left, "Would you mind doing this . . . "

I like to take my profession as a writer seriously but I also know that I need to consider my family's needs as well. This week, my husband asked me to set up a Web site for him--something I've never done before. But as I work my way through it, I find I'm learning new skills I might someday use myself when I get the call for a book deal and need to promote it. Writing copy helps shape my words in a whole new way.

When my daughter asks me to update her resume or look over a memo, I'm sharpening my writing skills even if I'm not submitting or editing my next book. And when my best friend calls and shares with me her personal needs, I not only pray for her but I deepen my understanding of how people respond in real situations which is essential for character development.

Being a full-time writer requires balance. Some days I juggle more tasks than a clown at a circus. Some days, I just need to turn off my phone, TV and Internet to write. But always, I'll be satisfied with whatever God chooses to bring into my life.

15 comments:

Linda Hoye said...

Great post, Terri. Life as a full time HR Business Analyst and wanna be writer requires it's own level of balance as well! There are rarely enough hours in week to accomplish all I wish I could.

Joanne said...

It's true, it can be a juggling act, and sometimes you just have to let them fall where they may and do your thing! How's the web site thing going? Is it a complicated process? I don't know that I'd have the patience/nerve!

Anonymous said...

Great reflection Terri. It's always good to hear that I'm not the only one juggling balance. UGH!

Janna Leadbetter said...

I so know what you mean with this post, Terri. For me it's, "Dear, I need you to..." or "MOMMY! ..." And it's always when I'm in the mindset for something writerly. But, like you said, you have to balance it all, and I'm especially conscious of that since my kids are still young.

Here's to the day you create your own website!

Kim said...

Great perspective.... I love how you took these things and made them opportunities rather than troubles or inconveniences.

Have a great day!!!

Vickie said...

Hi Terri, just dropping by. My son is in hospital so I have been there for the last few days. I had an internet connection that would let me read but not post ....not sure why..so I have been reading your post, very informative.
Anyway I just got another connection so I thought I would say a quick hello.

Blessings,
Vickie

Anonymous said...

This is one of the most helpful posts you have given because it really shows the dichotomy of struggle that we all have. It's different for each of us. But knowing that God cares about all of our interactions (as well as
our writing) puts a helpful focus on it.

Donna M. Kohlstrom said...

Thanks for more writing words of wisdom! Keep them coming!

Yolanda said...

Sounds like your life is incredible and full of God opportunities.

Lovingly,
Yolanda

BiPolar Wife said...

My transcriptionist job requires so much concentration that the interruptions make my brain want to explode sometimes. I want to be the kind of "I'll do it for you!" wife but I know I can only do so much. It's hard..I have learned not to ask husband for help...with ANYTHING...so when he asks me for help, it's hard to be a cheerful, generous giver of my time.

Angie Ledbetter said...

Isn't it great when you see episodes from real life funneled into a story, character, setting or idea? Kudos.

Anonymous said...

Hi Terri,
This is Karen...for some reason I was anonymous....in an earlier comment

Dawn Bernstrom Fullerton said...

Amen! to the seemingly never ending struggle to balance life. Mine is between trying to finish renovating the house next door so it can go on the market, working on my tasks for my daughter's January wedding, and teaching full time. Oh yeah, and somewhere in there finding new ways to promote my book and maybe begin to get my next one out of my head and onto paper. Thanks for the encouragement of knowing we're all in the same boat, but we DO IT!

Question - How do I insert links into a posting? I loved your post about blogging, but when I noted it, I could only refer to your link on the right side of my blog. I think it would be so much simpler for people to check it out if the link was, as you do it, right in the post.

Thanks.
Dawn

Renee Collins said...

I love the title to this post. I too cringe at those words. Of course, for me, with two little kids still at home, it usually sound more like, "MOMMY!"

Stonefox said...

Terri, it is most certainly a balancing act. You said it nicely, it is following what doors and needs the Lord opens each day. But as a Christian, all of life is really about that.

By the way, I didn't get to comment on your post a couple days back because I've been so busy, but I wanted to suggest using the follow tool by blogger. You just sign up to follow the blogs you like and it automatically shows you when there are new posts! It is great! Some of us just don't have the time to post everyday, but we want people coming back! Following is a great way to know when to go visit the sites you like.