Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Christmas Contest

My daughter who lives in Seattle sent me a link for a free contest yesterday. If you write a Christmas or Thanksgiving story for this Christian radio channel (Spirit 105.3) they are giving away two free tickets to anywhere in the US and $1000. Now she is pretty desperate to get home for Christmas this year since she hasn't been since she married three years ago...

So she asked me to write a story--the tricky part is it has to be under 1000 characters--not words--characters. So I took a story of 750 words and cut and cut some more down to about 200 owrds and the funny thing is--I liked it better!

Amazing how less is more in writing.

So go ahead and pop over there and give the contest a try. The link is under the drop-down at the top under Spirit Family. You might need to register but it is free--who knows--maybe you can win tickets to Florida to visit me!

9 comments:

Kathleen said...

Beautiful site and posts. I always enjoy my visits.

Who'd have thought that cyberspace would become such a unique village? Wow.

Be blessed,
Kathleen

Donna M. Kohlstrom said...

Thanks for the info! I'm pulling out my Christmas tree story and counting characters!

Angie Ledbetter said...

Hope you win the trip for her, and thanks for the reminder of less is more. Hard one for a chatty gal from the South. ;)

Janna Leadbetter said...

Awesome! I may just do that.

And I hope your story wins, so your daughter can come home!

Tracy said...

Wow, 250 word story! I talk,er, write, too much for that! :) Good luck - I'm sure it would be wonderful to see your daughter for Christmas. Blessings!

Unknown said...

Hi! Would you consider posting your story? I'd love to read it.

I hope it wins so your daughter can come home!! Having lived, for years, a long distance away from my family, I know how special it is to spend some time together.

BTW ... as I wander around the blogosphere, I see your picture quite often on comments. Today, for the first time, I decided to drop by your site ... very nice! I'll be back to read more!

Take Care!

Small Footprints
http://reducefootprints.blogspot.com

Ann said...

I entered!

Texasholly said...

I can't even imagine trying to cut something down to characters! Lots of short words??? Good luck.

pennink4Him said...

Hi,I was doing a search for blogging as I am new at this and say so hesitantly, grin, as I feel like a greenhorn in a sea of high tech word savy writers. I too love to write and even more so to use my gifts for the Lord, but for some reason I just have never joined the cyberspace forces yet when it comes to vocalizing my thoughts daily. So, if there is anyone who could help me and give me advice as how to get started please feel free to let me know.
Also, I was doing a search on writing contests for the holidays and came across your link Terri. I checked it out and that site seems to be so inspirational. Now, for the rules. I wanted to be sure about the word length. You mentioned 200 words and I think someone else said 250. So, what is the word limit for sure? I didn't know how to figure 1000 words character wise on my own,ha, sorta like blogging,Yikes! LOL. Any help and suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Yes, I need to learn how to blog asap to release all these wordy thoughts and feelings, don't I?chuckle! God bless all of you. Janice