Wednesday, September 24, 2014

A writing challenge


We're all anxious to get into the game of life. I remember being nine and how I couldn't wait for double digits. I also remember how I couldn't wait to celebrate eighteen because age brought more freedom. Oh and then I couldn't wait to get married and become a wife and mother.

I mostly remember wanting to be a real writer--to get published. My first publishing credit came through an online magazine at about ten o'clock at night. I watched with my daughter as the screen cleared and there it was. I was published.

I was officially off and running in the race to be a great writer.

That was many years ago and I've not reached my goal.

But I'm still in the game.

I used to tell my daughter when she played softball to just have fun. Don't worry if you win or lose. It's the fun in playing the game. I've had to come to that same place with writing. The challenge to do better every time I write a story is what counts. Will I whip out a better novel than the last time? Have I  improved my skills and can I put them into practice?

I'm in the game to have fun but also to be the best I can like the rest of my life.

Where are you with your writing today? Are you sitting on the sidelines waiting for the right time to jump in or are you in it to your neck--loving every moment?

Join me! If you read this post and need an extra eye to look over a stubborn chapter, let me know. I would love to be your cheerleader like so many have been mine.




14 comments:

Joyce Ackley said...

Good for you, Terri! You have come a long way with your writing and I wish you continued success. You've worked hard, and it's paid off!

I'm writing, but I'm often discouraged because of the lack of paying markets for my short stories and articles. It's thrilling to see my work published, either in print or online, but I wouldn't mind a little money along with the by line!

Janna Leadbetter said...

Excellent and insightful post. I appreciate your words, Terri, and will take them to heart!

Susan said...

Hi Terri...
I am like you----have not reached my writing goals. There is so little time!

But I do write feature stories for a weekly newspapers, which I love, and I have my beloved blog.

Would like to freelance more but there are not enough hours in the day. Someday.... Susan

Lynda R Young as Elle Cardy said...

I've jumped in, but am waiting too... hmmm. Remembering the joy of writing does make a massive differnce. Thanks for the reminder.

The Happy Whisk said...

Glad you're still in the game. Very cool and wishing you well.

Lillian Robinson said...

How did my life get so busy? I must get back in the game!

Great Grandma Lin said...

I've almost given up on marketing my books but still write a weekly column and teach writing classes.

Grandmabeckyl.blogspot said...

I have just been working on a blog post,last eve. Mostly what I do, also tweaking my writing style. No book.

Kenda Turner said...

A few writing credits stretched over many years--and no book, yet--but encouraged by posts like this one to keep writing, just for the joy of it and to see if...just maybe...the book will get out there someday?? Thanks, Terri. Good reminder :-)

Saleslady371 said...

Such good advice. I'm polishing up my testimony. It's time. So many emotions stirring!

Joanne Sher said...

Love this. Writing for fun - and striving to improve. My current project is a picture book about a Capuchin monkey in the rainforest - fiction, with some "learning" about the rainforest layers. Still drafting, and it's coming slow, but sure. :)

Cheryl Klarich said...

Hi Terri! I have enjoyed following your writing journey through your blog posts. I love how you can't help but "tell it like it is" for you. It takes courage to be so vulnerable.

Thank you. (and I hope to send you some pages some day...)

Susan J. Reinhardt said...

Thanks for sharing your writing journey, Terri. Congratulations on your upcoming release. I'll be watching for it. :)

Connecting to the soul said...

I can always use another pair of eyes to look over a chapter. I have also been writing stories for some time, some are published some in the wings waiting to be done.

But regardless of what I write it always seems to come back to a spiritual theme some how.

I'm wondering if that's my indication that that is what I am supposed to write, spiritual fiction stories. Nothing else feels right.