Wednesday, May 20, 2015

Living Life as an Adventure


I've lived in 11 houses since I married 37 years ago. I've lived in 4 states. Florida twice. I married my husband 9 months after meeting him. I've had 5 good careers. Not including other jobs along the way. I've built 2 homes. I had 1 child. And owned 4 pets.

When I was much younger, I had this plan as to how I would live my life. I would go to college, get married, have children and a career(simultaneously) and travel. For the most part, my plan played out.

I didn't want to just live life--I wanted to live an adventure.

This week, I've spent several hours on the phone listening to friends and family share with me how disappointed they are with their current status-pro--whether it be their job, social life or lack of time to enjoy life. They don't want advice, they want someone to listen.

Their concerns made me think about the way I'm living my life now. I've always taken chances and was more than willing to risk careers and security for a chance at something better, Sometimes it has worked out, sometimes not so much. But at least I didn't play it safe when everything was stacked against me. I reached out for the next adventure and trusted that it was what God would have me do.

Now that I am 60, a number I'm still coming to terms with, I find myself questioning my current choices in life. How many more adventures are waiting for me to grab? How many more opportunities for me to live my life and not just exist?

I often say "Never say Never" because each day offers new promises. That thought gives me reason to get out of bed and open my eyes and mind to my surroundings.

I'm ready to add more numbers to my list. Are you letting your life play out or are you living your life as an adventure?

13 comments:

Lillian Robinson said...

I have always loved a life of adventure--although not always good. I'm looking forward to out new adventures as retired nomads. I wanna be brave like my new bf 'Penny.' LOL

Terri Tiffany said...

So do I!! Lol!

Anonymous said...

You're 60. Wow. You're still a young thing (ha ha). I say this as I just turned 75. I just read your previous post on Stephen King, and am thinking: reading is one way to travel when you can't do much traveling anymore ... as it looks like I won't be able to do with my daughter, who is also having more difficulties being a traveler after almost 30 years in a wheelchair, and other issues. Now I want to find Mr. Mercedes in our local library. And get a review written for your excellent novel, The Mulligan. You did an excellent job with it!

Saleslady371 said...

I hope I never settle for just living out the rest of my days. I married a man just like you describe yourself--risk taker/adventurer. Some risks didn't work and others did. But we live life to the full! I've learned important lessons in that!

Anonymous said...

You have had a lot of adventures and glad you share them here! God has led me into the desert, a new adventure for me. But I am ok with it and feel His refining.

Anonymous said...

I had always wanted to be a writer as I went through my daily life and teaching career. Not an adventurous life but satisfying and blessed, but with a secret dream. One day I asked myself did I want to be in a nursing home someday and wonder why I didn't at least try? So, I started that very day, risked humiliation and rejection by putting myself out there submitting, studying, getting critiqued by other writers and today I'm a published author. Taking risks is important, even if I never published, the ride was an adventure in itself!

Karen Jones Gowen said...

I wrote a post a couple years ago on my website very much like this. Hearing people complain so much about their trials and tribulations, yet if we look at them as adventures, it's so much more interesting!

Susan said...

Hi Terri. I have certainly had my share of life adventures. At this stage of the game, I enjoy each day to the hilt, whether there is adventure or not. Guess I'm just happy to be alive. ha haha Susan p.s. I still plan, dream and work----all good things.

deeps said...

wow!!
just look at that list..
you should add blogging also to that list :) it s no easy job to maintain one..
a lot more awaiting you

deeps said...

writing has been more than a hobby to me and blogs laid perfect platform for me... not an inspirational writer like you, but a few of my inspirational write ups got published as you can see in my blog :) fortunately :)

Rachna Chhabria said...

Though I like living my life as an adventure, currently I am letting my life play out, as I feel God has some other plan up his sleeve for me.

Lynda R Young as Elle Cardy said...

See, adventures are the best and they are for all ages!

Heckety said...

Sheesh but you sure don't look 60 (jaw dropping!). I bet every single experience you have had, good and not so good and plain bad, helps you to listen helpfully and with an open mind. I think that is sometimes the most useful thing we can do and be, is listen with one ear on the speaker and a mind open to God on the other side. It took me a long time to realise this, that sometimes our single purpose in a 'meeting' is to be a conduit to God for the person, even if we never see them again who can say He hasn't used us for His purpose? I used to complain that I never see the outcomes but that is not our business it is His. So I'd guess you're life of adventure is also a life of usefulness to Himself.