Wednesday, May 27, 2015

Taking Back My Blog

 


I started this blog in 2006, almost ten years ago. Since then I've alternated between writing about what was going on in my life to writing tips and about the writer's life. I guess it was a natural progression as I became a writer during that time period.

I've found as time went by, I worried more about my words and wrote less about what I really wanted to write here.

  I think it's time for a change.

For example, what's really on my mind today? A woman who's marriage is broken. A woman I don't know but if I made one phone call, I'm certain I would be part of her life. For days, I've been teetering on calling her. We played phone tag for a few months. I'd decided I really didn't have time for this friendship. After all, I don't know how long I'll be living in this area. Why get to know someone and then perhaps move again?

But the other part of me tells me I'm so wrong. Wouldn't I want someone to reach out to me? Didn't I when my husband lost his job? I begged God to send me friends who cared.

So that's just one concern filling my mind today. The bigger one is I worry if I can pump out another book. I worry that I've used everything I had in me and that the last two books I wrote will never sell anyways so why bother.

My thinking is as gnarled as the roots in the above picture. 

I pray, I wait, I pray more. I have come to realize too not to make decisions until I'm positive it's God's plan and not mine. I wait for that peace to fill me before I do anything. Today I'm waiting. 

Meanwhile, I'm going to end with this declaration: I'm taking back my blog

I'm going to once again write what's in my heart and not because it might help my stats or my sales or is popular. I'm going to blog because blogging used to be fun. And I like fun.

 So hang on, I'm back.

17 comments:

Linda Hoye said...

Love this post and I'm right there with you as far as taking my blog back. The other day I went back and read some of my early posts from when I was starting out in 2008. They were much shorter than the articles I've pressured myself to publish in more recent years but I enjoyed reading them so much more. Reader interaction was higher back then I'd love to return to that golden age of blogging when it was a joy not an obligation. Let's do it!

Saleslady371 said...

Yay, glad for all the changes. Yes, I know about reasoning and how it gets in the way of how God wants to use me. I say go for it. One cup of coffee with a woman like you may make all the difference in that girl's life. Maybe she just needs a jump start.. who knows. Anyway, those are my thoughts.

Deborah said...

Glad to hear! I've tried several times to take mine back, but I just can't seem to get back to it. In fact, I've temporarily closed my personal blog, and just kept my music blog up.

T. Powell Coltrin said...

Good girl, Terri, good girl. I cannot write about writing only because I don't know enough. I want my blog to entertain me. Is that wrong? hee hee I'm so random and ridiculous to be put in a box.

Lillian Robinson said...

Yes! Write what you feel like writing. Isn't that what writers do? And if you're not sure about that call, send her a card letting her know that you're praying for her. I'm sure it will mean so much that someone cares. God has a way of delivering mail at just the right moment. ;-)

Karen Jones Gowen said...

Well said. I'm following you because you write posts from your heart and I can identify with them. Don't ever change!

Anonymous said...

"I'm taking back my blog." I love that line. It goes along with a song line "I'm Taking back my Brave." I've always enjoyed your posts regardless what you write. I think though, it is important you feel peaceful about what you are writing as then you know, as you said, it is God's will, not yours.

Susan said...

I always love to check in with you, Terri, in both good times and bad. Glad you are back. Susan

Kenda Turner said...

I think we all should continue to ask ourselves why we blog--and you've come to some really good conclusions. I agree that it should be fun. Otherwise there's too much pressure to try to measure up to someone else's expectations. Continue to be yourself--and have fun!

Rachna Chhabria said...

Love the line "I'm taking back my blog." Glad to see you blogging. I always enjoyed your inspirational posts.

Sally Wessely said...

Well, welcome back! I find blogging has waxes and wanes for me. I need to take my blog back too!

Terri, I understand the friendship thing. I sometimes wonder if I have time for some people, then I think of the ones that gave so much to me.

You have a new book in you. I know you do. You made me think yesterday. Should I play with fiction and write about my grandmother? That would be a fun thing to do. She has fascinated me. I know so little about her. I feel bad about that. I wish I would have known her.

North Jersey Christian Writers Group said...

Yes! Share your heart, my friend. It's beautiful and inspiring. And fun :D

Karen Lange said...

I like fun too! :) I am sure your posts will provide plenty of fun and food for thought. Happy weekend!

Nicola said...

A great looking page, Terri and a fantastic post!! Good for you!! I worry about similar things but with regards to new friendships, don't be afraid. I worked in an International school for 15 years, since moving to Germany, and had to get used to making new friends and then losing them at the end of the academic year when they left and I stayed. It was difficult but now I have friends worldwide and you know what? You don't ever lose them. They are at the end of a video-call and all the other social networking options available make it much easier to stay connected. I do miss the actual physical presence at times but I have my husband for hugs and cuddles when I need them.Take great care and stay true to yourself - let that light shine!!

Deb Shucka said...

Good for you! I'm so glad I'll get to read your thoughts and the stirrings of your heart again.

deeps said...

now thats good news for sure :)

KL said...

I love your honest look inside yourself. I will be visiting your blog often.