Tuesday, September 01, 2015

Memories




Summer has ended for most people. Today my grandson starts second grade. A huge part of me wishes I could be there with him in Seattle, take his hand and walk with him into his new classroom. Well, I'm sure the take his hand part wouldn't happen. But maybe I would be allowed to take a peek at where he will be spending the next nine months. 

When I see all the ads for back-to-school stuff and see Facebook photos of kids standing in front of their front doors, smiles on their faces, it stirs memories. Memories we all have of first days. New classrooms, new friends, new beginnings.

For some reason, my memories pull up fourth grade. May, to be exact. I was extremely shy. Always would be right through college. So when my teacher, Mrs McMahon asked me to be a princess in the May Day court, I was shocked. I remember running home to my house to find my mother baking pies in the kitchen. She didn't go back to work until the following year so I was able to share with her my joy and excitement.

We remember those highs and lows in our lives. What I wonder about is the in-between times. Those memories that don't quite make the list. I see myself in kindergarten drinking milk and eating graham crackers and then in first grade learning to read. Then time skips and I'm in third grade with Mrs. Dawson, scared of the teacher they called Dogface Dawson.

What happened in second grade? I can't pull up one scene. No pictures of my classroom in the old brick building a few miles from my house. Nothing. 

How much time in our life is forgotten because something monumental didn't cause us to remember it? What else was happening then? 

I think about all this stuff and yes, it's just stuff, as the season turns. What will I remember about this past summer? What will lodge a permanent home in my memory to pull out some day and smile? Or cry? 

If anything over the years, I've learned to appreciate each day a little more. Grab onto it and find a purpose. Today started like any other day but I have a plan. A plan to make a memory. Do you?


12 comments:

quietspirit said...

Our son has been out of school for 26 years. I have been out of school 25 years longer. I have some memories of elementary school.I was a safety patrol. Due to my health ( sinus problems, ears,etc.) My parents told them I couldn't be outside. In the 6th grade, I went against their wishes and was outside a few times. I had the Asian Influenza three times that winter. I then had another flu bout in the spring. I should have listened and said something at school.

Lillian Robinson said...

I have very few memories of any age. Sometimes something will pop into my mind, and I think, "Where did that come from?" I treasure those glimpses into the past. Nowadays, most of the memories I'm making have to do with grandkids. Melody learned to do handstands in the pool. Last year she didn't want her face to get wet. That alone is enough for a year. I am blessed.

Melissa Amateis said...

As my daughter goes through school (she's a sophomore now), I recall memories from the grade she's in now. It's been fun to remember. :)

Kenda Turner said...

I have some specific memories of school, too--plaid lunch box, knee socks, times of being particularly embarrassed! (Why are those the ones that stick out the most? :-) As for my kids, I tend to have memories based on the age they were at the time. Now that they are grown, the years are speeding by and I don't have as many landmarks to hang the memories on. But now? Like you, I'm making memories with the grandkids!

Catherine Ensley said...

I allowed myself to go back to K-2nd grade in my memories and immediately came up with a dozen or more memories, but I will admit, it was hard to pinpoint which of those three years the events happened, in many of them.

I'm all about memories and recording life via images and words. My scrapbooking is, frankly, more important to me than the fiction I write. I want to be published, but I also really, really want to have completed a scrapbook (at least one) for every year of me/my family's life. It's a daunting project, but also one filled with love and wonderful memories.

Lovely post, Terri.

Great Grandma Lin said...

I like that idea of planning to make a memory of today.I think we are always looking forward to something monumental and not appreciating the simple normal days. I know when we return from a short vacation away, I love being in my own bed and shower, etc. Having a frig I can look into and space and time to call my own. I don't remember my 2, 3, or 4th grade teachers or my 6th. Memories are interesting to say the least...

Heckety said...

I know exactly what you mean about memorable times and times which drift by into oblivion. For some reason recently my three girls have been doing a lot of 'remembering', some incidents which I remember and some which I don't even though I (unfortunately) feature in many. They have many happy memories but it sure shows their mother in a very eccentric light! For myself I know that the 'drifting' times are also important, and even though from day to day we can be quietly thankful and content it won't be those times that show up later when we think back. But the unmemorable times are also a part of what makes up our character.

Nikki (Sarah) said...

I love how you put things. Sept for me is all about new beginnings. My oldest is starting second year university, my youngest, high school. And I'm running empowerment workshops and a four week writing workshop. So many things change....I wish you a great Sept...full of new beginnings Terri and new fun memories.

Deb Shucka said...

What a lovely reflective piece. There is something about this time of year that seems to grow thoughts and memories like these.

Nancy said...

Hi, Terri - Good to hear from you again. I agree, I am a "catch the moment" type of person. Sometimes I just stare at my children because I want to remember what they looked like at every age.

Victoria Marie Lees said...

Terri, I love this: A plan to make a memory. Everyone should do this. Life is too short. I'm going to try my best to appreciate each day a little more--no matter how far I get in writing my memoir or how much the children or obligations take up my time--thanks to your inspiration here. I'm going to check to be sure I joined your blog. Thanks again, Terri.

Anonymous said...

Thankfully (or not) my children remember many moments that I do not! Memories are interesting as they may also be recalled differently than how the event actually played out. But smells, tastes, sights can evoke memories from our past that enter into our current moment and make it shine more too. I shall be practicing more mindfulness these days to remember moments ( and my car keys)!