Friday, August 25, 2017

Ten Years Later--alive and trusting

It's hard for me to think about what life will be life retired. After a combined total of 12 jobs, 1 college degree, 2 sold houses, and 4 moves all done in the last ten years, you can understand why I find it hard to believe my life might finally settle into a nice routine.

It was August 27, 2007 when the call came from my husband that would forever change our lives. "I'm getting it tomorrow," he said. A RIF, they called it. Reduction in Force. 60+ people in one day. It was called the Great Recession and we were living and working at ground zero--construction in Florida. Second only to tourism.

It was our thirtieth anniversary. I had just arrived in Seattle to meet our first grandchild. I remember wondering what life would look like after my husband lost his dream job. I found out quickly. Dark days followed as we cried out to God to help us understand why this had to happen to us. Getting out of bed to face endless hours of applying for non-existent jobs became harder and harder. I wanted to hide in my closet and come out when the sun shone again on our lives. We had just married our daughter off the year before. These days were supposed to be filled with empty-nester fun--travel, eating out, visiting with friends. None of that happened in the years to follow.

When life sends you a roadblock, you have two choices: give in or go forward. I'm thankful to be writing this post on the tenth anniversary of the change that grew our faith. Our view of what life should be like is so much different than reality. Because you work hard, and be kind to everyone and honest does not mean your life will be a bed of roses--excuse my cliché. No, life will give you trials no matter what you do. But how you deal with them makes all the difference.

After a lengthy phone call with a friend, I started to write our blessings on a piece of paper stuck to the refrigerator. Little things at first. No bills in the mail. I didn't cry today. We were able to find a discount grocery store that sold soup in dented cans. Looking at my blessings and being thankful for every little thing saved me. But it didn't change what we went through--selling our home we loved, moving across the country to a job my husband hated, moving again and again and again to find something that would support us and let us get through each day without fear of ending up on the street.

The fear was real. We were those people on the nightly news who couldn't find work to support themselves. We lived on unemployment, savings, retirement and finally sold our house before we lost it. Friends were empathetic but couldn't save us.

Only our faith in Jesus saved us. Only the trust that He would see us through like he had in the past only this time our situation was much more dire than not having enough money to send our kid to camp. This time we had to believe or give up. It took some time --some anger, some tears, some disbelief, more anger then finally we gave it to God. Let me say this, the surrender wasn't a pretty picture. It was a work in progress (still is) but God never turned his back on us like some people in our lives did.

He still hasn't.

So here we are. Ten years later. Packing. Selling our house. Preparing for a semi-retirement because one can never totally retire after the run we had but we will be doing life at our own pace again. Together. A tiny piece of me keeps waiting for the other shoe to drop. I doubt that feeling will ever go away but then I tell myself to breathe. Breath more. But mostly to pray. Pray and give thanks that I'm still here to tell our story.




10 comments:

quietspirit said...

Terri: I know something of having someone unemployed. Hubby was laid off three times in four years. One summer, he was called back to work for six weeks. I was working at that time or we would not have made it through.

Our son went through short term jobs(those that didn't work out or the place closed up-that happened two times while he worked for different companies and once he chose to leave a company that closed about two weeks later.)This wen on for over ten years, if he found work at all. He was 40 years old before he could find a job that has seemed to work out for him. He's had it for six years.

I had to learn patience and dependence on God, especially when it was our son. I didn't do very well with patience the first time around.

Deborah said...

I'm not sure what year of your journey we met, but I'm glad we did! God is good, and it's been wonderful to watch how he has directed your steps, even when you didn't know where he was leading

Kenda Turner said...

What a story of struggle, endurance, persistence--and God's faithfulness. And now another change. Wow. But as you say, 'when life sends you a roadblock, you have two choices: give in or go forward." Wishing you all the best as you once again go forward...

Linda Hoye said...

Terri, I am so happy for you that God is taking you home to PA. You have been a beacon of encouragement, faith, and perseverance as you have traveled a path through the unknown. I know you have been an inspiration to others as you have to me. Bless you on this journey.

Cathy said...

It is a prayer come true. God is faithful.

Great Grandma Lin said...

we need to tell this story of life's continuing challenges to our children to help them prepare. Even at age 77, each day has its challenges but also lessons to learn and blessing to search for and proclaim...

Joanne Sher said...

Terri - I so appreciate your transparency, and your encouragement and faithfulness. I know it has been hard - so glad you had the Lord and so many to support you!
Love ya!

Grandmabeckyl.blogspot said...

Thanks for sharing your story of doubt and perseverance that God has brought through. Our life has lost jobs too. Husband out of work for a year but God blessed thru that time and a few others. Work is so hard to find now for our daughter who is living with us. Looks like we're close in anniversaries as we celebrate 40 years in Oct. Was too slow and didn't get your book on my kindle when book was 99 cents. Take care in moving and keep making lemonade out of the lemons in life. :-}

Abir said...

Thanks for nice writing.

Unknown said...

Thank you for the good and useful information I keep track of your blogs throughout. I love your thoughts, and very interesting and very nice atmosphere.
ออกกำลังกาย