Thursday, October 26, 2017

Eight months post self-publishing--will I do it again? Should you?

If you are a writer like me, you wonder how another writer's books are really selling. Is self-publishing as good as some claim? Is it as bad?

My journey into self-publishing still makes me happy. Why is it important I'm happy? Because I wasn't last September when I almost gave up writing completely. I told myself last February when I took the plunge to self pub that I would stop when it was no longer fun. Today I can report that putting a book out there is still fun.

August was my best month so far. Overall, I've made almost as much money in the KENP program as I have selling e-books. So for now, that's where my books will remain.

How much have you made? you ask. Honestly, more than I did with my first book that was with a mid-sized publisher. I think that's because I have actively promoted and advertised The Bend more than I did The Mulligan. But since I'm doing it all my self online, I have more opportunities to set up the advertising, especially through Amazon.

Would I do it again? Of course. I hope to be much smarter about the next one--doing a low pre-promotional price, better book inside design, and being positive there is not one error in it as much as I can prevent. I will also choose better categories to set it up in, and start my Amazon advertising immediately rather than months later.

Already I am sharing the next cover and blurb and will heavily promote it as the time grows closer.
Honestly, selling is all about advertising. Who will find your book and buy it if you don't put it in front of them?



So my best advice to those who want to take a similar plunge? Write well, be brave, advertise and just do it. 


6 comments:

Lillian Robinson said...

I know how much you hated promotion. I am amazed at how far you've come in that area. I'm sure your future sales of Winterheart will reflect your effort. You've convinced me to go that way...if I ever finish. LOL

Jeanette Levellie said...

I so remember when you wanted to give up, Terri, and I'm so glad you didn't! You're a great writer and have become a great promoter.

Rachna Chhabria said...

Hi Terri, thanks for this post, I've never given self-publishing a serious thought but will keep that option open for later.

Grandmabeckyl.blogspot said...

Terri, I'm glad you found a way to advance your books into the hands of people. Your latest book sounds great and cover photo is nice. Keep up the faith walk as the God of angel armies is always by your side! (That song is my favorite and just was playing on the 📻 right now!) Blessings!

Lynda R Young as Elle Cardy said...

It's good to hear you'd do it all again. I'm thinking of going that route as soon as I find some time and focus (right now is soooo not a good time).

I LOVE your new cover and title. The blurb makes the book especially appealing.

Tanza Erlambang said...

great post...like it