Monday, February 23, 2009

Jiffy Please

When I had a big test to study for in college, I'd pack my books and go to the library where I'd choose the most private area I could find, spread out my notes in front of me and study until I could recite the pages of the textbook by heart.

When I became a mother, finding a private area to focus my thoughts became more difficult. A quick sit in my Adirondack chair on the back deck, a ride on the lawn mower, or a moment in my closet hanging clothes were my only choices.

But sometimes we need to focus.

I've been spinning in a few directions lately--not doing justice to any one area. Sort of like spreading the last of the peanut butter on a piece of bread and hoping more jelly will make it taste as good.

So I am making a choice this week. I've already picked out my spot. I've got a nice comfy chair with a waiting footstool next to my patio doors in my bedroom. And I've got a plan. One that will use the whole jar of peanut butter.

I plan to finish the rough draft of my book by the weekend. I plan to shut out all distractions and focus on the pages until I know where it is going by heart. It might be a lofty goal as I have well over 20,000 words to write but I think it's attainable with the right planning.

And if by some chance other choices prevail, I'll know at least I made the effort to choose and the spinning has finally stoppped.

Do you have focus in your life? Or are you spinning in all directions and not gettting anywhere fast? I hope you make some strong choices this week!

13 comments:

Jinksy said...

Sometimes standing still and letting go can let you find the centre calm point from whence comes all creativity. Concentrating energies to focus on one thing to the exclusion of all others can act as a barrier, I think...

Susan Storm Smith said...

We must all be in that stand still position. I have been writing it, preaching it, thinking it, and now find my place to do it.

Great confirmation!!

Donna M. Kohlstrom said...

I sure do know what it's like to sping out of control and be exhausted without focus or accomplishment. I'm trying to find that place of rest and restoration, set my goals and begin to work on them. Not writing has left me feeling like I've been wandering in the desert, lost and without water. I see the oasis and I'm headed for it.

Jenni James said...

20,000 pages! Wow! Holy cow, that's a lot. Man, and yes, there are plenty of days were I feel like I'm just doing things to do them, not quite sure what's really happening around me. LOL! I'm with you today, I plan on guiding my attention back to where it needs to be and getting my goals accomplished.

Yolanda said...

Oh yeah...spinning and getting no where gets me so frustrated at the end of the day. And I believe that is why I've had a cold for the past 7 days....it caused me to stop my spinning...and rest in Him.

Lovingly,
Yolanda

Unknown said...

Your blog is fabulous! Thank you for the wonderful posts that you give to us!
http://riikartsrose.blogspot.com/2009/02/fabulous-blogs.html
Stina Rose

Melissa Amateis said...

I had to re-find my focus this weekend after being sick. But I think that's pretty much life - if we were focused 100% of the time...well, then we probably wouldn't notice some of the wonderful things going on around us!

Janna Leadbetter said...

I love your thoughts in this post, Terri. And we all need to slow the spinning down once in awhile. Best to you!

Unknown said...

Staying focused is easier said than done! I'm an online student right now and I have to talk to God daily about staying on track!!lol

Barb Davis said...

Right now I'm running in circles..too many things I'm needing to finish and some to get started. Gives me a headache just to think of it!!

elaine @ peace for the journey said...

Sounds like we're walking in similar stride, friend. Enjoy your chair, while I'll enjoy my bench. Cheering for you and your life!!!

You go get in that chair and soak it in.

peace~elaine

Carol said...

I really struggle to stay focused. I'm trying to be more organized and finish one thing at a time, but it's hard.

Good luck with your plan for finishing your rough draft.

LisaShaw said...

Enjoy your time of writing and seeking...I'm sure when all is done it will be well worth it!