Sunday, June 30, 2013

Next time God whispers

I'm not sure if I ran a red light on my way back from Walmart today or not. I blame my not knowing because I was concentrating on news I'd just received from the cashier.

Lara and I knew each other years ago when we attended the same church. Her husband taught our adult Sunday School. Bert made the Old Testament come alive for me in a way no one else had ever been able to do. We ran into him at the county fair last September days after moving home to PA. He convinced us in is salesman-like way to register to vote and reminded us how much God loved us.

I'd heard he'd fallen ill. Through the grapevine, you know. But I never heard of what or how he was. That's usually the case with the grapevine. You hear part and then never the ending.

Today I found myself in his wife's line. I knew she worked two jobs, and at our age working as a cashier at Walmart is no picnic. I studied her appearance and concluded she looked worn.

When it was my turn, I asked about Bert.

"He has a terminal brain tumor."

I wished I'd had a larger order so we could talk. She told me he's aged thirty years but she was fine. Even though she lost her other job recently.

"If I can help in any way," I said. You know how we say stuff that doesn't hold weight sometimes? I wished for a stronger reach.

Then I knew what I had to say. "We love both of you."

Yes, I had loved them  twelve, maybe fifteen years ago. Our children had grown up together. We were Christians. We shared many memories.

Maybe telling her that was enough. I know the interaction left me reeling. Wishing I had known and had even sent a card a few months ago when I first found out Bart had passed out in church. I remember the fleeting thought. I remember my excuse too.

Next time God whispers in my ear, I'm going to listen better.

12 comments:

Susan J. Reinhardt said...

Hi Terri -

So sorry to hear about your friends' situation.

How many times have I brushed off that "passing thought?" I pray we'd all be sensitive to His still, small voice.

Blessings,
Susan

Great Grandma Lin said...

it's take a strong faith to act on impressions...

Susan said...

Oh, gosh, Terri. That poor woman. She is dealing with her husband's devastating illness and working two jobs. I'm sure she'd probably like to be at home with him. Life is cruel sometimes. Guess we truly have to keep our eyes on the rock. Susan

BECKY said...

That is very sad, Terri, but please don't stress over the "should've/could've" syndrome. You're a very caring person but so many times, life gets in the way of following through with the best intentions. I send well wishes and healing thoughts to your friends....and hugs to you!

Lynda R Young as Elle Cardy said...

Ah yes, those little whispers... So many have passed by that I wish I'd paused to listen to. God still finds a way to work through us, even if it seems we're deaf.

Jessica Nelson said...

I have done the same thing and regretted it. *hugs*
I'm sure there will be something you can do in the future but in the meantime, I think knowing you care and hurt for them is probably a good thing.

elaine@ peace for the journey said...

Oh to hear the whispers of the Father . . . you are listening, sister. In faith and with courage act on those whispers. I imagine you'll find her line again in Wal-Mart in coming days. She'll need your love even more at that time.

Blessings and peace to you as you sojourn through this land.

I love you, too!
~elaine

Rachna Chhabria said...

Feeling bad for your friend Terri. Some we tend to overlook God's whispers and messages.

Gaia said...

Hi Terri.. back n hope to stay.
God had whispered several times, but I was too
Distracted to listen n I live to regret it.
Most important to spend more time with loved ones. God bless!

Karen Lange said...

Praying for you and your friends!

Just Be Real said...

Hugs to you dear one during this difficult time....

Julius bright said...

May GOD be with you in this difficult time!