Wednesday, November 05, 2008

The Gift

Last Monday, my husband and I traipsed through the nearest ToysRUs store. We were on an early hunt for a Christmas present for our grandson. Aisle after aisle, we poked, shook, squeezed, rang and bounced toy after toy. Finally, in the sports aisle, we stopped together as if on cue. There in front of us, high on the shelf, it sat--the perfect gift.

It isn't always easy to find the perfect present for that special person. In the same way, it isn't always easy for the writer to write that perfect article or story. Finding the perfect phrase or verb or character's name often is like finding the perfect pumpkin in a pumpkin patch. Sometimes it can't be done.

But when it is done---oh what a sweet thing. When the words string together as if in a song that should be sung over a midnight lake . . . or the ending sounds like the final note of a concert under the stars . . .

That's when I stop and stare and know that my trip is over. My package is gift-wrapped and ready to be sent to my recipient--my reader.

Ahhh. . . The perfect gift.

Have you shopped for your reader this week?

12 comments:

Angie Ledbetter said...

Nice post. Reminds us writers to always look up high on the shelf where most others don't! I like shopping for readers...they don't regift, return, or complain too often when I've made a bad choice. hehe

Donna M. Kohlstrom said...

Awesome blog! And yes, I'm always shopping for the perfect gift for my readers! The best joy is when they open it (read it) and say, "Great story! I loved it."

Yolanda said...

I'm so thankful that HE is the perfect gift.

Unknown said...

I love the idea of words becoming a gift. It not only makes one think about what they write ... but gives us a new appreciation for the true nature of what we read ... that being a gift from the heart of the author.

Wonderful image of a "song that should be sung over a midnight lake".

Thank you for this gift!

Small Footprints
http://reducefootprints.blogspot.com

Vickie said...

Wonderful post. It makes me think back to times when I am writing poetry and after some twists and turns, and starting and stopping then the time comes when I know, that's it, that's what I have been looking for.

Beautiful.

Thanks for this post Terri.

Vickie

Barb Davis said...

I can't always find the perfect gift for my readers, but I do offer a lot of party favors.

KelliGirl said...

Terry,
I visited your blog from Shane's and I'm so glad I did. I enjoyed reading your last several posts. I can really relate to your struggles as a writer.

I'll be back to visit again.
Blessings,
Kelli

Anonymous said...

Very nice post. When writing I always try to think how someone would receive my words.

Melissa Amateis said...

I completely know the feeling. I think I have grinned foolishly to myself numerous times after writing a particular turn of phrase or a wonderful chapter. It just fills me with joy.

elaine @ peace for the journey said...

I think, yes, in part; but mostly I've been shopping to find the words to filter my many emotions. If they become a "gift" to others, then all the more.

peace~elaine

Pat's Place said...

I like your idea that words are a gift for our readers. I just read over my collection of stories that I intend to put together for my family for Christmas and thought they sounded really "dorky." My husband read them and said they would be a gift for our children and grandchildren--a gift he wished he had had from his mother or grandmother. I had not thought that my words would be that kind of gift, but you said it, too! Thanks!

Kathleen said...

The thought that comes to mind is from the scriptures, and how words figure so pivotally not only in WHAT we say/convey, but WHO (or WHOSE) we are. Truly it is from the abundance of our hearts that we speak (and pen). And then that wonderfully mysterious "deep calling to deep" dynamic sets in between two believers. Beautiful!

Kathleen