Monday, January 14, 2008

Query Monday

A month ago I sent a query out to a major Christian magazine. Today is Monday - now I'm not superstitious by any means - but it seems most publishers and editors time their responses to land in a writer's mailbox on a Monday. It could just be me.

Today I reached in my mailbox and saw my familiar handwriting - my SASE. "Another rejection. Oh well, I expected nothing less," I told my husband as I unsealed the flap and folded open the three page bundle. "Thank you for...blah, blah, blah, I knew that part by heart. Please send us..." My jaw dropped open. They wanted a look-see at my story.

Ok - I tried to play it cool. "Well, I'm successful in that my query was a good one," I said to no one in particular. Within minutes, I sat at my computer and pulled up my article. Doubts the size of the Rocky Mountains loomed in front of me. How will I get it good enough? By the time a half hour passed, I was convinced my writing stunk worse than my garbage left outside in the Florida sun.

But this is my chance! I have to get it right!

Finally, I took my husband's advice. "Do your best work and send it in. That's it - that's all." I think he wanted to watch the news in peace.

2 comments:

Lynda Lee Schab said...

Terri,

That's great news! If you need another pair of eyes, I'd be happy to look at it when you have it ready. Is there a deadline you're shooting for?
Congrats! I'm cheering with you! Lynda

Ann said...

Hurray, Terri! I'm so happy for you!